Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What is raw and why do you do it?

So today's post is going to be pretty simple.  I am just going to talk about my definition of raw food and why I do it.

Everyone in the raw community seems to have their own idea about what is raw and what isn't.  I feel that anything that has ever been heated to more than 105 degrees Fahrenheit is not raw.  I eat only fruits, vegetables, some cold pressed oils, seeds, and very few nuts.  Many nuts, even those listed as raw, have still been blanched and do dot have any raw options (some nuts are illegal to sell in the US as raw).


I eat raw because I feel that raw food is powerful.  It is full of enzymes that are good for my body and supplies me with unadulterated power.  My goal is to be and feel healthy and I am looking at loosing weight as a side effect of that process.  So far I have lost 25 lbs on raw food and I feel fantastic.  I no longer get out of breath when I walk up and down stairs and I sleep better at night.  My skin is looking great (despite some acne scars) and my depression and anxiety have decreased greatly.

I originally thought that being raw was for extremists and weirdos :) but now I know better!  I do not advocate a raw lifestyle for everyone, some people would be unhappy and being happy with yourself and what you put in your body is important.  What I do advocate is to eat with your eyes wide open (I think that Michael Pollen said that in the Omnivores Dilemma) and for me that means eating raw food and eating organic whenever possible.

Make sure that what you are eating makes you feel healthy and clean no matter what kind of eating style that is. If your body is screaming at you (migraines, tiredness, aches, etc) then maybe it is time for a change.


I hope that you will join me on this journey to health and I look forward to hearing any questions or comments that any of you may have!  Remember, you are RAWsome!

0 comments:

Post a Comment